8th European Medical and Biological Engineering Conference
Paper Submission — Invitation, Instructions and General Information
It is a pleasure to invite you to contribute your research and help form the programme of EMBEC 2020, the 8th European Medical and Biological Engineering Conference organized by the Slovenian Society for Medical and Biological Engineering (http://www.dmbts.si/?lang=eng). The Conference of the International Federation of Medical and Biological Engineering (IFMBE) and European Medical and Biological Engineering Conference (EMBEC) will be held in the Congress Centre Bernardin in Portorož, Slovenia, from 14 to 18 June, 2020.
We aim to present all traditional BME areas, but also to highlight new and emerging fields, such as Artificial Intelligence in Health Care, Tissue Engineering, Bioinformatics, Neurotechnology, Electroporation-based Treatments, and Technologies for Medicine and Biology, to name a few. Moreover, we will emphasize the role of education, translational research, and commercialization of new ideas.
- Short Abstract-only submissions without a Full Paper submission, accepted contributions will be published in the Conference Programme and Abstracts Book only;
- Full Paper submissions, to be published in the IFMBE Proceedings (if accepted), where the short abstract submitted electronically is the same as contained within your Full Paper. The abstract of the accepted Full Paper will also be published in the Conference Programme and Abstracts Book.
If you are submitting a Short Abstract only, limitations as to its length are somewhat more relaxed (see below). If you intend to submit a Full Paper, then the abstract as part of the Full Paper is limited to about 150-250 words by the IFMBE Proceedings guidelines, so please make sure to respect this limitation in the length of your abstract that you are submitting separately for inclusion in the EMBEC 2020 Programme and Abstracts Book.
Short Abstract-only Submission Information
These details will be asked of you once you start the submission process. Please review this list and make sure you have all the required answers before starting the submission process.
General required information and format restrictions
Abstract Title — 200 characters limit*.
Authors and Affiliations:
- Identify all authors with full affiliation (institution, address and country), name, last name, email are required fields;
- Identification of the Presenting author (will receive an invitation email to upload presentation/poster a few weeks before the Congress);
- Identification of the Corresponding author (will receive all correspondence concerning submission).
Body of abstract — 3000 characters limit* including spaces, or 400 words, whichever is reached sooner.
Keywords — a minimum of 3, up to 5
Classification — Please choose the appropriate field of research your work belongs to in order to aid the review process.
*Note that these are hard limits and the submission system will not allow you to exceed them. If you enter the title and the text of your abstract from an existing document using a copy-paste procedure, the system will automatically truncate your entries to the maximum allowed length.Show me the list of research topics
- Artificial intelligence in healthcare
- Assistive technologies
- Bioinformatics, computational biology and systems biology
- Biological effects of electromagnetic fields
- Biomedical engineering education & society
- Biomedical engineering in developing countries
- Biomedical imaging and image processing
- Biomedical sensors and instrumentation
- Biomedical signal sensing and processing
- Cellular and tissue engineering
- Clinical engineering
- Electroporation-based treatments and technologies for medicine and biology
- Health technology assessment
- Healthcare informatics
- Image guided therapies and endoscopy
- Implantable devices and artificial organs
- Legislation and standardization
- Medical physics
- Micro- and nanotechnologies in medicine
- Minimally invasive methods in medicine
- Modelling and simulation
- Neuroscience and neuroengineering
- Rehabilitation and prosthetics
- Technologies for active aging
- Technologies for preventive healthcare
- Training and professional development in BME and medical physics
- Wearable and implantable devices
Full Paper Submission Information
The entire submission process is the same as for Short Abstract-only submissions, except that you are additionally required to upload your Full Paper files together with your abstract submission.
General required information and format restrictions
The following applies to the IFMBE Proceedings:
- Recommended paper range is 2000 to 3000 words. References are included in these limits.
- Each paper must be submitted with an abstract, keywords, and a conflict of interest declaration.
- Citations should be numbered.
- Basic Reference Style (see attachment) will be implemented by Springer.
- Figures should be saved as TIFF with a minimum resolution of 600 dpi.
Files that need to be uploaded during Full Paper submission:
- Upload the Original MS Word or Latex File of the Full Paper (based on template).
- Upload the Full Paper in PDF format.
- Upload all of the figures in one single separate file (one figure per page, please).
- Submit Copyright Form: please fill the copyright form (found here) and submit it electronically signed or printed, signed manually and scanned back into PDF format.
Templates (Word and LaTeX) that you should use in preparation of the above documents can be found here: http://www.embec2020.org/calls/.
Miscellaneous General Instructions
Additional requested information during submission
Please indicate your preferred type of presentation:
Applying for Student / Young Investigator Award:
- Yes, I am a Post-Doc / Young Investigator*
- Yes, I am a Student**
*Note: A Young Investigator is a person under and up to the age of 35 (at submission deadline date) working in the field of biomedical engineering and science. Young investigator must be the first author of the paper and must present the paper/poster in person to be eligible for the award.
**Note: A Student is a person under and up to the age of 27 (at submission deadline date) without a PhD degree, working in the field of biomedical engineering and science. Student must be the first author of the paper and must present the paper/poster in person to be eligible for the award.
Invitation letter for Visa required:
Important notes to observe
All papers must contain original work that has not been published or presented on previous occasions.
Papers must be submitted in English.
Please check spelling and grammar carefully. All papers will be published as submitted.
Use generic names. Commercial drug names may not be used.
Abstract/Paper Limit: Abstracts and Full Papers should each be supported by a participant registering for the Conference. We offer an Additional Abstract/Paper Fee if you wish to present several works at the Conference (see: embec2020.org/registration)!
Visa Information — Abstracts submitted from outside the Schengen Area
International abstract submitters who plan to attend the 8th European Medical and Biological Engineering Conference may need to apply for a VISA to travel to the meeting in Portorož, Slovenia (EU). For more information on visa requirements, please go to https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/. Please be aware that the time required to obtain a VISA may be substantial. An invitation letter will be sent to abstract submitters (upon acceptance of their submission!) that have checked “Yes” that a letter is needed upon receiving their abstract submission.